I love the tartness of lemons that really comes through in this cake. Also, it’s super easy to make!
- 2 large eggs
- 150g sugar
- 125g soft butter
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 180g self raising flour
- 125ml milk
- a Pinch of salt
- 100g sugar
- 50ml fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper making sure that the paper overhangs the long sides of the baking tin. This will help you to lift the cake out of the tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest and salt and beat until combined.
- Add the milk and stir in with a wooden spoon else it may splatter.
- Add the flour and beat with wooden spoon till all combined. The batter is quite stiff.
- Pour into baking tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for approx. 40 min until golden and a skewer comes out cleanly.
- While the cake is baking make the syrup by warming the lemon juice with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved into the lemon juice to form a syrup.
- After removing the cake from the oven, prick all over with a skewer and pour the syrup over the warm cake until it is all absorbed.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin before taking it out using the overhanging pieces of baking paper.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar when you plate up to disguise the skewer holes.
Enjoy with strawberries, a dollop of cream or just on it’s own!!
What is your favourite lemon dish?